Pages

Thursday 29 December 2016

Week 3 Day 11 Activities by Ashleigh

Week 3: It’s time to be entertained!
This week you will learn a great deal about the sports, television shows, movies, music, and people who are famous in your country. It will be a really entertaining week!
Day 11 – He Shoots, She Scores!
After a full week of sightseeing in your new country you are given tickets to attend a local sporting event. Check out the links below to see videos of athletes playing two of the most popular sports in each country.
Canada
Ice hockey - Olympic Gold Medal Game in 2002 between Canada and the United States of America [3:04 minutes]
Canadian football - Grey Cup (Championship) Game 2013 [8:52 minutes]
Chile
Soccer (football) - Highlights of game between Chile and England – 2013 [4:47 minutes]
Chilean rodeo - Example of a traditional Chilean rodeo [2:43 minutes]
Germany
Soccer (football) - Highlights of German women’s football team vs. the United States of America [2:22 minutes]
Motor sport - Footage of German Formula 1 driver, Michael Schumacher’s, the world’s most famous motor sport driver
Malaysia
Field hockey - Footage from Men’s Junior World Cup Game – Malaysia vs South Africa [2:31 minutes]
Badminton - Footage of Lee Chong Wei – the most famous badminton player in Malaysia [18:04 minutes]
United Kingdom
Rugby union - Highlights of Rugby World Cup game between England and Australia, 2015 [3:52 minutes]
Cricket - Highlights of England vs New Zealand match at Edgbaston, 2015 [1.54 minutes]
Mexico
BaseballHighlights of World Baseball Competition Game between Japan and Mexico [4:33 minutes]
Soccer (football) Highlights of soccer game between Mexico and the United States of America [7:06 minutes]
United Arab Emirates
Soccer Highlights of soccer game between the United Arab Emirates and Australia [1:12 minutes]
Camel racingHighlights of camel racing in Abu Dhabi [4:32 minutes]
South Africa
CricketHighlights of semi-final game in World Cup between South Africa and New Zealand [3:20 minutes]
RugbyHighlights of 2016 Rugby Championship game between Australia and South Africa [4:48 minutes]
Japan
Sumo wrestling Sumo wrestling competition in Fukuoka, Japan [6:54 minutes]
Baseball - Highlights of World Baseball Competition Game between Japan and Mexico [4:33 minutes]
Australia
Aussie rules football Grand final game (2015) between Hawthorn and the West Coast Eagles [8:36 minutes]
Rugby league Rugby league test between Australia and New Zealand [1:48:26 minutes]
Now that you know a bit more about the sports that are popular overseas, it is time to think about what is popular in New Zealand. For today, your challenge is to…

Activity 1
Take a picture of yourself participating in a popular New Zealand sport. On your blog tell us the name of the sport and why you have chosen it.

I chose basketball, because it is a very famous sport and I play basketball with my friends before.

Activity 2
Write a short paragraph describing your sporting hero. Who is he/she? Why are they your favourite sportsman? I like Simone Biles From USA, because she done a great job in Olympic.

Bonus Activity
According to the Love New Zealand website, the most popular sports in New Zealand are rugby union, rugby league, netball, soccer and cricket. In your opinion, which of these sports is the best one? On your blog tell us which sport you think is the best. Be sure to tell us why. Give us as many reasons as you can!

I think netball is the best because nestball is a good sport for girl, because you don't get hurt easily.
Bonus Blog = 6 points

6 comments:

  1. What a great picture you have posted, Ashleigh! I, too, love basketball. In fact, it is my very favourite sport! I started to play basketball when I was about 6 years old and I continued to play all the way through high school.

    When I was in university I also worked with a basketball team from my school. I just loved going to the games and watching the girls play ball. My job was to help them if they got injured or needed any physiotherapy. I loved it!

    Basketball is my bones because I actually come from the same town in Canada as Dr James Naismith (the inventor of basketball). He was born and raised in Almonte, Ontario, Canada (just like me)! We have a special statue in the middle of our town that commemorates him and celebrates his accomplishments.

    Speaking of accomplishments, we are all so proud of you and all of your classmates from Stonefields school. You are doing so well with the Summer Learning Journey programme. It's amazing!

    Keep up the great work and the great dedication. Where possible, we would also love it if you were able to post even more information on your blog. For example, for the bonus activity we are looking for you to provide 5 or 6 reasons why you think that netball is the best sport. In order to earn all of the bonus points, could you please give us just a few more reasons why you think that it's the best sport?

    Thanks so much, Ashleigh! I can't wait to read what your other reasons might be...

    All the best for a very happy start to 2017. Can you believe that it's almost the end of another year? Where does the time go?!

    Cheers,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Ashleigh!

    I have to say I used to play basketball too! I was always on defense because I was so tall. These days though, I like indoor netball because boys and girls can play the same sport together.

    I have to agree with Rachel on this one, it would be cool to see some more reasons why you think netball is the best.

    Keep up all this fantastic work! I think that picture is great! How did you take it? Is someone taking it or did you set it up yourself?

    Kia kaha! Stay strong!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark!

      The photo up there, I took it myself, it is very easy, first I put my phone up somewhere I think it's the best, then I set the tie 10 secs, after that I click it and quickly get ready.

      Delete
    2. Lol okay that makes sense! I just wanted to say your answer for this question was really in depth too. Keep up the great work!

      Mark

      Delete
  3. Hi Ashleigh,

    I was thinking for the netball one which is great for girls, but what about the boys, Anyway I really enjoyed reading your short description. Great job!

    Shanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashleigh,

    I was thinking for the netball one which is great for girls, but what about the boys, Anyway I really enjoyed reading your short description. Great job!

    Shanya :)

    ReplyDelete