Pages

Saturday 17 December 2016

Maya's day 5

Day 5 – Boarding the Plane
It’s the big day! You’re about to hop on an airplane and travel to a new country. Curious Kiwi will keep you company on the journey. Unfortunately, Curious Kiwi forgot his book and he is worried that he’ll get bored on the long flight without anything to read. He asks you for some help…
C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Children's book image II.jpgC:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Children's book image.jpgC:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Children's book image III.jpg
Activity 1
Think about all of the books that you have read this year and recommend one for Curious Kiwi to read. On your blog list the title and author of the book and then provide a short description of it. What is the book about?
The book is called WHERE’S MY HAIRY TOE!
The book is about when a giant loses his toe and a person finds it and the giant came looking for it on a stormy night and you could hear it saying we r e i s m y h a i r y
t  o  e
Activity 2
Read the following three reviews of books that are really popular right now in Canada. If you had to choose one for Curious Kiwi to read on the plane, which one would you choose? Post the name of the book that you would chose on your blog. Below the title explain why you would choose that book.
I would choose catching fire because  I like the hunger games and I think kiwi too

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Catching Fire book cover image.jpg

Book 1: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create. Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
Book 2: Matilda by Roald DahlC:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Matilda book cover.jpg
Matilda is a sweet, exceptional young girl, but her parents think she's just a nuisance. She expects school to be different but there she has to face Miss Trunchbull, a kid-hating terror of a headmistress. When Matilda is attacked by the Trunchbull she suddenly discovers she has a remarkable power with which to fight back. It'll take a superhuman genius to give Miss Trunchbull what she deserves and Matilda may be just the one to do it!
Book 3: Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The Ugly TruthC:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\DoaWK image.jpg
Greg Heffley has always been in a hurry to grow up. But is getting older really all it’s cracked up to be? Greg suddenly finds himself dealing with the pressures of boy-girl parties, increased responsibilities, and even the awkward changes that come with getting older—all without his best friend, Rowley, at his side. Can Greg make it through on his own? Or will he have to face the “ugly truth.”
Bonus Activity
It’s time to use your imagination to write a short story. I’ve provided you with three different beginnings for a story. Choose your favourite beginning and finish the story. What happens next? You can use your imagination and create any ending that you want. To earn full points, you must post, at least 8-10 sentences, on your blog.

  1. I looked around the room. Nothing seemed unusual, but then… out of nowhere boom my house caught on fire. I did not no how nor when because I did not look at the clock on the wall.all my things were gone all that were left were ashes and ashes and ashes.And my house reappeared. I thought this was very odd but I had actually travelled in time. I did not even know it. Then it disappeared again and never reappeared. I shall never fire why or how or when this happened ddd…… p.s never burn your house down.

  1. I knew it was going to be an unusual day when my mom came into my bedroom and said...

  1. The spaceship was out of control and only one person could save us....
Bonus Activity = 10 points

Please make time to comment on other student’s blogs. Commenting is a great way to share your learning with others and to show your support!

4 comments:

  1. This is looking great Maya I like how you give a review on the book on how it is like so if I ever read these books I could come here and see what it is about. Great work Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Maya,

    You're really speeding through these answers! I love the enthusiasm and that you're really getting into the activities. If I could have one wish, it would be to read more of what you think! Your answers for this week are very concise and while that is good, it leaves me wanting more! Please make them a little longer so I can see more of what you think. Maybe do a little more research or opinion, or link your answers to your own experiences if possible.

    I have done a little googling to show you what I mean, and linked a couple of articles below to show the kiwi connections to the movie because the author of the books is an American woman called Suzanne Collins.

    The Kiwi connections to the movie are a Kiwi designer made some of the costumes

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11160386

    and Lorde (a kiwi musician) made a song for it

    http://www.ibtimes.com.au/lorde-feels-special-connection-hunger-games-mockingjay-heroine-katniss-everdeen-1387970

    Now that you know a little more about what we're hoping to see, I'm sure you're going to be an even better writer and am looking even more forward to reading your work!

    Kia Kaha! Stay strong and do your best!


    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I really thought your story was quite exciting. I wish it was longer, but unfortunately the question only asked for 8-10 sentences. I have a feeling you are a very good creative writer. Feel free to write longer stories!

      Delete
    2. Hi Mark and Maya!

      Like Mark, I have a feeling that you are a great creative writer,Maya. I can't wait to see what you're able to post next. I am sure that it will be really interesting! I would also really encourage you to write as much as you can for each activity. Longer posts allow you to really practice your writing and to keep your learning up over the summer holiday. Mark and I also love reading blogs and the longer ones are our favourites :)

      I hope that you're currently enjoying a lovely Christmas with your family. Both Mark and I are looking forward to reading your blogs once you've had the chance to spend quality time with your family and are able to nip away and post another blog :)

      Wishing you a very happy and safe start to 2017.

      All the best,
      Rachel

      Delete